It was in 1847 as America continued to push west. The US Army established Posts on the frontier and Fort Robinson, Nebraska was one. This post would have a very interesting life over the next several decades as a home for the US Cavalry including the famed Buffalo Soldiers. It then would become in the 20th century the largest of all the remount depots of the US Army's Remount Service.
The thousands of acres - about 22,000 began as Camp Robinson named after Lieutenant Levi Robinson. He was killed in February 1874 by a band of Indians who attacked the lieutenant and a Corporal while they were on a side trip hunting game.
The US Army Post later became the largest remount depot for the US Army Remount Service after the depot at Fort Keogh was closed