Established on 08 NOV 1878 by Brevet General Nelson A. Miles and named Fort Keogh as a US Army Post. The original size of the military reservation was 100 square miles, or about 64,000 acres. The infantry troops were withdrawn in 1907 and became part of the US Army's Remount Service and a remount depot in 1909 until 1924 when the Army relinquished it to the US Dept of Agriculture. More about the US Army's Remount Service along with several historic photographs are found in the book "Images of America - Fort Myer" - the ground breaking / milestone setting book about this historic US Army Post with origins during the US Civil War when it was known as Fort Whipple.