Fort Reno was built in July 1875, named for Major General Jesse L. Reno who was killed during the Civil War. The US Army Post was home to the Buffalo Soldiers of the the 9th and 10th Cavalry and the 24th and 25 Infantry - regiments who were stationed at the Post.
After the Congressional authorization to establish the US Army's Remount Service in 1909, it became a re-mount depot for the US Army until 1949. One of the last Quartermaster horses that came from Fort Reno's remount depot was the famed "Blackjack" - the caparisioned horse that appeared in many final honors at Arlington National Cemetery including President John F. Kennedy's. Blackjack was one of the horses among those that the Old Guard - 3d Infantry Regiment of the US Army had among its "herd" to conduct ceremonial missions within the Washington DC area. In the book "Images of America - Fort Myer" there are photos of these ceremonies among the over 200 historical photographs from the 1860s until the 1960s.