WHAT WAS ONCE ARLINGTON CANTONMENT
Begun as the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) in MAY 1942, it became a branch of the US Army in 1943 then known as the Women's Army Corps (WAC). During WW II some 150,000 women served in the Army and Fort Myer had its share. Colonel Oveta Culp Hobby
was the first director from 1942 to 1945. At Fort Myer, South Post, they were about 1,900 in number and housed in barracks at what was that time South Post of Fort Myer.
They were the first women to serve in the Army other than nurses. "Images of America - Fort Myer"
includes several historical photographs which provide a glimpse of the past service of these women who lived on South Post. The WAC would continue on as a branch of the US Army until 1978, when those who were serving, were included into the Army based on their military occupational specialty (MOS)
Their history is rich and legacy long. More accounting of their contributions, including a top-secret mission during World War II is found in the book by MAJ Elna Grahn In the Company of Wacs
. They shared South Post Fort Myer with the civilian women who worked in Washington, DC and other Soldiers from what was Headquarters Company of the US Army.
South Post was the location of many events while it existed that are milestones in the US Army's history. These are chronicled in the book Images of America - Fort Myer.
OVER 200 HISTORICAL IMAGES, MAPS and ILLUSTRATIONS
The book was released on 13 JUN 2011 and chronicles the first one hundred years of this Civil War era US Army Post when it was first called Fort Whipple in honor of General Amiel Weeks Whipple
. He commanded the Defenses of Washington using Arlington House as his headquarters. An autographed copy of the book "Images of America - Fort Myer" can be had on the page BUY THE BOOK
. Alternative choices of purchase are also offered.