The Legacy of George S Patton Jr.
George S Patton Jr. was stationed at Fort Myer four times during his early career. From the first time, he would have an impact on the Post and the US Army that would carry on until today. He truly left his mark.
Patton Hall, once the Post Headquarters, now known by most as "The Officers' Club" or "The O Club" is named for this great icon in US Army, military and world history. A fitting tribute to one who has contributed much to the post and to the US Army. The most visible contribution to all who visit Fort Myer is the Old Post Chapel, which was dedicated in 1935.
Competing in the Olympics
Patton's original postings once he graduated from West Point wa at Fort Sheridan, IL with the 15th Cavalry. He was then transferred to Fort Myer among his four tours of duty to the post include: The first from 1911 to 1913 when he was selected to compete in the 1912 Olympics in Europe representing the United States in the pentathlon, the second from 1920 to 1922, the third from 1932 to 1935, and the fourth from 1938 to 1940, when he was both post Commander and commander of the 3rd Cavalry - "The Brave Rifles" George S Patton enjoyed Fort Myer. He had his own personal horses stabled there and often went riding with his daughter.
The book, "Images of America - Fort Myer" presents over 200 historic photographs and within that set of images which chronicles the first one hundred years of the post back when it was known as Fort Whipple. The images tell the lasting impact of George S Patton, Jr.